Thursday, September 4, 2008

An Abbreviated History of My Scoliosis

When I was 13 years old,
I hit a growth spurt.
Instead of my spine growing up,
like a Sierra pine tree,
my spine became
more
expressionistic,
like a Bonsai with a 59* curve.

Scoliosis Maxima!

In 1966,
during the Dark Ages
(of spinal fusions),
I was a pioneer patient,
with 8 fusions in my thorasic spine.


Following surgery,
my little 69-pound body was placed into a
plaster of paris body cast
that extended from my head down to my hips.

There was no instrumentation in those days
and so I had to lie very still, week after week,
while the bits of bone taken from my hip
grew into my spinal column.

I was hyperactive, by nature.
It was a hard year, locked up inside that cast.

When all the plaster was removed, I was pronounced healed.
(Sort of.)
The curve had been brought down from 59 to 29 degrees.
That was considered miraculous back in the 1960s.

I skipped away . . .
and went off to do my schooling, marrying, babies, and lots of high-risk sports.
My back was fine, fine, fine.

Until I started squirming in my seat around 1995.

Soooo, I picked up the pace of my fast-paced life to outrun something very much like . . . pain.

You see, at first I couldn't exactly admit
it was pain.

By the time my last child was married in 2004, it was undeniable PAIN.

Surgery wasn't an option.
I'd done that.

My brother began suggesting that I just might want to consider it.

I said absolutely no.

I did Pilates like a MANIAC.

I did Yoga like a Zen Master.

I hung upside down for hours on end,
WILLING
my spine to straighten out.

My curve went back up from 29 degrees to 65 degrees.

My brother began borderline harassment.
GET YOUR BACK FIXED.
Find an expert.
Find the best guy in the world.

Your life is worth it.
I told him kindly . . .


But I knew he loved me. And I knew there was a small chance he was right. So, I went to St. Louis (Dr. Lenke). Then to Dallas (Dr. Shelakov). Finally New York City (Dr. Boachie).

The experts agreed.
I needed yet another surgery.

A BIG surgery.
That is, if I wanted A LIFE.
Was that even a question???
Of course I WANTED A LIFE.

I reconsidered my position.

And here I am today.
With
massive technical assistance,
I've STRAIGHTENED UP once again.

Down from a 65 degree curve to a 26 degree curve.

Now I only have THIS to say
to my persistent & persuasive brother . . .


And I feel like THIS
as I recount my scoliosis history on this blog
and clearly see where I am now . . .



3 comments:

K said...

You.

You are life.

Leah said...

Oh what a fun post! I love your creative pictures and text, it's wonderful, like reading a fun book. I am SO glad that Uncle Ken was persistant. I'm also so glad that you have taken such great care of your body so that your recovery will continue to progess.

Unknown said...

I love, love, LOVE your blog. The pictures and the way you make everything so bright and colorful and entertaining to read!! I just started my own blog, and I hope one day I can make mine look as halfway interesting as yours!! PLEASE keep up the GREAT posts!!

And I am sooooo glad you are doind great with your back. I have 124 days left til my big day to get straight! :]