Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pre-surgery

Have I ever mentioned that my three children were enormously supportive with this whole surgery thing . . .
before, during, and afterwards?

(These shots were taken of my kids while they were caring for me during my hospital stay in New York City.)

I was fortunate.
They were simply stellar
- each one of them!

A couple of months before my surgery date, my first-born child Arian (-who is pictured in BOTH photos above-) surprised me with an AMAZING pre-surgery gift . . . a trip to COSTA RICA.

Together, my son and I went . . .

RAPPELLING
RIVER RAFTING
HIKING and COMING ACROSS SPECTACULAR WILDLIFE

SWIMMING UNDER WATERFALLS

FLYING IN A BUSH PLANE TO A REMOTE RAIN FOREST
ZIP-LINING

STAYING IN SPECTACULAR CAMPING LODGES


My adventures in Costa Rica provided me with a way to feel fully ALIVE and IN THE PRESENT. When I returned, I was completely ready to face my scoliosis surgery. I knew that Dr. Boachie's skill with the scalpel would provide me the means to keep enjoying my NEW life WITHOUT a debilitating curve in my spine.

* * * * * *
The lead-up to surgery can be chock-full of tumultuous feelings. Some of my scoli friends needed anti-anxiety medication just to get themselves through this stage and avoid freaking out. The scoliosis forum helps people through this - click HERE.

Another way to cope = DO SOMETHING (anything!) that takes your mental energies AWAY from the surgery. Our minds can be our worst enemies!

* * * * * *
I will be forever grateful for Arian's AMAZING pre-surgery gift that took my mind (and body) in a whole different direction. AND, I appreciate 200% his wife Jill, who was sick with a difficult pregnancy and dealing with a toddler alone during our travels. None-the-less, she whole-heartedly supported the trip.

Now, they've given me another grandchild
and I love them all the more!


Next week, I will take the five-hour drive to their home in Nevada where I'll spend a few days
cuddling the new baby,
playing with the big brother,
and lending a helping hand
wherever possible.

It will be my first time to do solo traveling
since I was spinally reconstructed.

QUALIFIER ON COSTA RICA TRIP: In CASE you wonder how I did all that activity at age 55 and with a 65* curve in my spine, I took PAIN KILLERS. Lots of them. AND, my body was lean and mean from all that pre-surgery exercising. Scoliosis pain CAN be disabling. Mine was getting there. NOT ANYMORE! HA!

3 comments:

Leah said...

We were so glad we could be there with you during the surgery. What an amazing thing that was for Jill and Arian to do for you before your surgery. I am so glad you had that time together! I hope the drive to Mesquite goes well. I know that Jill, Arian, Kenneth and Audrey will love having you there.

Jill Lewis said...

I'm so glad you were able to enjoy Costa Rica with Arian. We still look through those pictures with joy, and Arian still shares his memories with excitement. What a great adventure you two had! We look forward to seeing you soon. Thanks Again!
Love,
Jill

K said...

Yeah. And when I read this and look at the pictures, I just shake my head. You and Rachel Rubow. You need to be stopped - you ruin the curve for EVERYBODY.

You know, that trip was simply a reflection of the gifts you gave your kids as a mom. I'd get your Christmas letters and always be amazed at the adventures and wild things you were always taking the kids to do. You cast your bread and got back bagels, my dear.