Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My Godchild Returns!

Victoria & Ginger in the Kitchen
My Canadian god daughter Victoria has come back to live with me for another year of high school. Although I've been her godmother since birth, last year we really bonded while living together.

Furthermore, Vic competently cared for me during my first two weeks home from New York. After that, I had . . .

"The Plan" provided me with a security blanket of long-term care during the first three months of recovery. Kelty and Duane (my daughter and son-in-law) were prepared to do 'over-nights' and a health care agency was scheduled to do 'day care'. Well, I really haven't needed all that intensive care. This is what I needed and continue to need: REST and lots of it! Basically, I've managed independently since Victoria left six weeks ago. Of course, I was GREATLY buoyed by calls and visits from family and friends. Plans are great, but it's good to know when to revise or toss.

Now, I'm thrilled to have my dear Victoria back. I find myself gathering energy to prepare real dinners, since she arrives at 6:30 p.m. after volleyball practice, tired and hungry. Proper meals benefit BOTH of us.

Surgery left me a bit, shall I say, 'scrawny' . The pressure is on to 'bulk up', with my physical therapist regularly charting my weight. He sings the Hallelujah Chorus when I manage to add a pound or two. Now that I'm eating meals alongside an athletic TEENAGER, I think I'll be back to proper weight* PRONTO!

* "Proper weight" is determined by taking what the scales report and SUBTRACTING 5 pounds, due to my life-time intimate companions = 18 screws and two 26" rods of titanium.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Hey, glad she is back! It will be nice to have the company again. Don't try to overdo it with making dinners.

Unknown said...

yeah, vic!!!! thanks for coming back :+} love, sashi & dave