Thursday, August 7, 2008

Undeniable Progress!

Just after I set my surgery date, my children simply informed me that would ALL THREE be going to New York to help me through my ordeal. A collective circle of support for me, their mom. AND, a complete role reversal, since 'The Mom' suddenly became 'The Child', depending on their care and support.

Needless to say, my kids were absolutely amazing, making enormous personal sacrifices to oversee my care. And then there were the supportive spouses, doing double duty on the home front. My daughter Kelty (above) carried the lion's share of responsibility. She stayed by my side for three weeks of intense Mommy Care. Lovingly, she ministered to me, although I was a rather challenging patient in my drug-altered, pain-riddled state. (My sister Tricia was also a great help.)

FAST FORWARD TWO MONTHS:
My children gathered 'round me once again. This time, in Utah.

Kelty, Duane, Ginger, Leah, Arian, Jill
In addition to the six family members in the above photo,
there were three more who were with us. . .

Grandson Kenneth & my two granddaughters, in embryo!

I was thrilled to discover that my recuperating body was able to RALLY for this delightful occasion of togetherness. Being sensitive to my recovery, the kids made efforts to keep things 'low key'.

On Sunday, we all attended church together and then joined forces to create a WHOOPING SUNDAY DINNER. (This was MY outrageous idea. The kids would have been happy with frozen pizza.) The menu - barbequed salmon and teriyaki chicken, home-cooked beets and carrots, fresh fruit parfait, leafy green salad, consomme rice with mushrooms and onions, crusty French bread with butter and garlic. I took the role of Project Director while the six of us chopped and tossed and cooked and laughed.

After feasting, we held a little birthday celebration for Kelty and her husband Duane. I whipped up Kelty's very favorite homemade chocolate cake with minty icing, divided it into two pans and let the birthday kids do their own decorating, which they loved.

Whew! That was considerable exertion for this gal 'in convalescence'. I sensibly cozied into bed while my kids chatted in the living room. It was important to keep reminding myself that I didn't have to be in the center of everything. When I forgot, my kids gave me gentle encouragement to rest.

On Monday, we packed into Arian's car with three rows of seats and meandered up to Sundance Ski Resort for a lunch outdoors in the fresh mountain air, a stroll by the river, and a ride up the mountain on the tram.
I actually did all this! Astonishing!!! Undeniable progress! Furthermore, I happily accepted the fact that I've needed to retreat into hibernation ever since the troops left. Sustaining high levels of energy will come . . . down the road.


Right now, I just feel grateful that our little family gathering could be home-based in PROVO, UTAH instead of at a HOSPITAL in NEW YORK CITY.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Love the post Mom! You HAVE made incredible progress. Back in NY I would have never imagined that in just a few short months we would be doing the things we did together last weekend! My next post is going to be about our family time in Utah, I am going to link your blog to mine! Love ya!

K said...

You, dear one, are a peculiar person. I think about you, wondering - in a state of wonder - simply because of the blessedness of your nature, your heart, that allows and actually compels those around you, especially those under your direct influence, to learn from you and love you.

I've known you a long time, fairy dear - which one were you? Peaseblossom? Mustardseed? And have never found one reason not to think you are wonderful