Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Great Stuff, Not So Great Stuff

GREAT STUFF . . . Since returning from New York City, I've been hiking the canyon behind my home just about every evening. Initially, just a few steps. Day by day, adding a few more. Eventually, about a mile. My dog has provided me with constant encouragement. Wouldn't this joyful little face motivate YOU?

Yesterday, I did a crack-of-dawn hike, and discovered that I could hoof it much farther with the fresh morning air. In fact, about two miles. Determination runs deep within my clan and I was ecstatic about this measurable progress.

The shots below were taken THIS MORNING during my second two-mile hike. Better than words, they speak of the inspiration I find in the canyon.


NOW, THE NOT SO GREAT STUFF: These hikes are fabulous and all, but they gobble up my meager energy reserves. I'd been warned by my fellow recovering friends on the scoliosis forum that I shouldn't expect to be back to "normal" for at least a year. Well, I never thought that applied to ME!

In fact, I'll make a couple of confessions here. Last month, I called my surgeon's head nurse and asked for a medical form so I could make it through airport security with all my titanium. My plan was to fly out to West Virginia on July 25th and honor the passing of a dear cousin. The nurse balked at my request. "Dr. Boachie's patients do NOT take to the skies two months after their surgeries." I persisted and she reluctantly mailed me the medical form.

However, as the time approached, I began to seriously doubt the prudence of my travel plans. I found myself getting so tuckered out, so bone weary, so utterly exhausted.

Me at age 8, but you get the idea.

On July 21, I finally got honest with myself regarding my limitations and canceled the trip.

I would have felt quite deflated if I hadn't made other plans to travel to Canada on August 9th. I have five amazing Canadian god daughters who are gathering in a cottage on the shores of Lake Osoyoos in British Columbia. Their birth mom insisted on flying me up there so I could lay in the hammock while my godchildren took turns giving me foot massages and making me laugh. YES! Certainly I'd be up to speed with another couple of weeks under my belt! Or so I told myself.

My darling god daughters with their birth parents.
Well, the days are passing and I'm still NOT NORMAL, as I'd fully planned to be. Yesterday, I discovered that the plane tickets hadn't yet been purchased and so I was free to change my mind. Once again, I backed out of another trip. Sheesh!

Last night, I bawled my eyes out. I want to get back into the saddle, but willpower is NOT ENOUGH. Since I have a direct phone line to my dear doctor, I called her and told her how fed up I am with being weary and depleted. She helped me a lot by saying:

1. MOST of my body's resources are being allocated for healing. Remember that.

2. I need TONS of calories and nutritionally dense food while my body repairs itself. (She knows I'm not a big eater and she wants to change that.)

3. She's going to do a blood work-up and make certain that I don't have any deficiencies playing into my exhaustion.

So, the lesson I'm learning is to EAT and keep my expectations in line with my reality. And, most importantly, remember to . . .

GO SLOW * GO SLOW * GO SLOW * GO SLOW
while my body heals .

2 comments:

Otter said...

All Woolley's need to do an evening meditation and chant the words "slow, slow, slow..." over and over, and that goes for me too!

Take your time, you have many healthy years ahead.

Love,
Sarah O.

K said...

Let' see. What is it that humility means again?