Monday, July 21, 2008

Being a Rare Specimen

For years, I "played the field" when it came to physical therapists. My back pain would become unbearable and I'd call whoever could fit me into their schedule. About twelve years ago, I found the best P.T. this side of the Rockies. My crème de la crème P.T. had abilities and experience that left the others in the dust. AND, apparently I was not the only person to observe his talents. He has been promoted about six times since I designated him the Fix-My-Back-NOW Man.

I returned from New York City with complete confidence that My Guy with decades of P.T. experience under his belt would know JUST what to do with me and my improved spine.

I was SHOCKED to discover that Mr. P.T. Extraordinaire had NEVER dealt with so much hardware, so many fusions. Yes, he's worked on a pile of patients with a fused disc or two. Their post-surgery spines look like the one on the right, with an itty bitty rod, not a truckload of hardware or twelve fusions running the length of the spine.

My peculiar status manifests itself in various ways. I see people whispering as they watch me enter the exercise room of the hospital. Somehow, they seem to already know that I'm the Original Bionic Woman, although I've not been the broadcaster. (News DOES travel fast.)

And then there was the time when I went for my six-week post-opt x-rays and I could hear a gaggle of radiology technicians GAWKING at my spinal image taped to their light-up screen. As I dressed back into my street clothes, they were counting each of my 4" screws and when they got to nineteen, I wanted to call out, "WRONG! There are only eighteen!" But what's the difference?

Later, as I was exiting the changing room, quite a few of those techies were hanging around the hallway. No question about it - they wanted a look at the lady put together with wires, screws and rods. But all they got to see was a clothed, attractive woman. (Notice that the sign between my teeth clears up any doubts. It says "ATTRACTIVE".)

All jest aside, I am truly blessed to be a RARE ORTHOPEDIC SPECIMEN and yet I can still dance with a flower in my mouth without a SINGLE SOUL detecting that I am a physical oddity. They may consider me odd for other reasons, but they'll never know that I'm put together with titanium.

At this point, I'm OVER my initial shock of being "a first" for my dear P.T. He's got to have one during his career and I get to be The Case. The two of us have a LONG road to travel together as I become officially "rehabilitated".
And I plan to enjoy the journey because,
as I truly believe,
THE ONLY WAY IS UP!

4 comments:

Jill Lewis said...

Wow, you are one of the best bloggers around! You have an amazing way with words and the pictures add beautifully to their effect! I'm so glad you're keeping this record!

K said...

I think he's a dang lucky man, and that you are a miracle. People always gawk at miracles - once they know the miracle is standing there in front of them. I am especially fond of seeing you dance with flowers in your teeth.

Ginger said...

I just read your latest blog, and although I found it extremely interesting and informative, I feel compelled to say to you: YOU ARE NOT A FREAK. You're a MIRACLE! Walk proudly through those corridors because what has happened is a magnificent feat, and you're leading the way. So, walk Tall and Proudly. Of COURSE you're attractive -- more than just 'attractive', and your scar and metals prove your personal METTLE. This is something to be imminently proud about. You're a person that others want to know better -- now, even more than before. And LOOK how you've thrived since the surgery. You are a woman IN FULL, and should be told so every day of your life. What an achievement! You have more grit than anyone I know, my dear friend.

Love, Dion

Otter said...

Dearest Aunt Ginger,
yipee, I just found your blog a couple of weeks ago as I had heard news of your miraculous recovery through family, but had not read all the gory details. What an amazing Aunt and woman you are! You make us all so proud. I can totally relate to the squished organs story, I am now 81/2 months pregnant, so will soon too be relieved to have room for food and organs again. Thank you for doing such a beautiful blog! It is an inspiration and example to us all!