Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fireballs & Bizarre Sensations


I never was a cautious personality. Quite the opposite. My favorite sports were dangerous ones, like technical rock climbing, 400 mile outdoor survival treks, scaling mountain peaks in the middle of winter and decades of motorcycling.

Twelve spinal fusions require major adjustments in my thinking pattern. Let's face it. I've only had ONE month of practice at this cautiousness mindset and I'm not very good at it. Like, when my two-year-old grandson showed up at the door last week. I was thrilled to open my arms and let that 35 pound fireball of enthusiasm come barreling into me.

An hour later, I knew I was in trouble. I could feel the left rod from top to bottom and it was the most bizarre sensation. I figured that one or more of my 18 screws had come loose and that was causing movement in the rod.

I called my surgeon's office in New York and spoke with the clinical coordinator who told me that I was only experiencing inflammation of the muscles surrounding the rod. The unusual sensation came from the muscles moving over the rod. If my hardware had come loose or had broken, I would be howling with pain and it wouldn't simply be a "strange sensation".

At this point, the swelling has gone down and I no longer feel any of the instrumentation. How can I have all that hardware and NOT feel it? I simply don't know. But, after my little experience last week, I realize how fortunate I am . . . as long as I'm CAUTIOUS around adorable two-year-old FIREBALLS!

2 comments:

Paige said...

Oh my goodness Ginger! That story makes my skin crawl! Glad nothing broke! Kenneth is absolutely adorable ! Looks like they were there for the 4th of July with you? So fun. Love and miss you. You are an inspiration!

K said...

I am so behind - and trying to read as fast as I can.. It's like cramming cheesecake down your throat. PLEASE, crazy woman, be CAREFUL. I want this girl walking straight and tall and carelessly by autumn - no more catching fireballs.