Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Uncharted Waters



No question about it: my recovery continues to take me into "uncharted waters". I can get up in the morning and feel like a million bucks. Two hours later, I'm staggering towards my bed.

I had this foolish idea that I was going to be exceptional in every aspect of my recuperation since I could do so many things right out of the starting gates. I ditched the walker so so early and my pain levels have dropped to the Extremely Tolerable level.

It's just that energy thing. Reminds me of being a week out from birthing a baby. I'm even losing globs of hair, which I haven't done since Kelty was born! Let's face it - rearranging my skeletal system was rather traumatic to my 55 year old body.

The orthopedics like to say that middle-aged scoliosis surgery is more invasive than a heart transplant, especially if they are revising old fusions. (For those of you who don't know it, I had eight fusions at age 14 due to scoliosis. This is why I sought out a competent "Scoliosis Revisionist" in New York City to undertake my 'reconstruction project'.)

HERE'S THE IMPORTANT THING: Each day, it's a wee bit better. I feel myself WILLING and ABLE to do just a little more on my feet. Those minuscule increments of improvement are worthy of celebration. Truly my rebirth into this new and improved body is a cause for pulling out the party hats and favors!

On the flip side of the coin,

I am indulging myself during my times of rest
(and healing).

Books,
podcasts,
music,
journaling,
delightful phone calls to old friends,
. . . and day dreaming.


With a great deal of encouragement from kind friends, I've been pampering myself with all this resting. I want to incorporate it as a part of my long-term life style.

Resting is not only agreeable ( . . . when one learns how to accept it . . .) but it's ALSO helping all those little bitty bone grafts fuse my spine. Dr. Boachie had to remind me more than once, your body can not heal with rest. Now, I get it. I'm ACCOMPLISHING something as I lounge around my house.

Pretty great, don't you think?!

4 comments:

lynne said...

I vividly remember those days of falling onto my bed in shear exhaustion....It is truly amazing how your body heals itself from this massive surgery but you need lots of rest...& patience...
I had to learn how be patient!!! --Best to you-Lynne

JoAnne said...

Ginger,
YOU are one rockin' lady! I am so impressed by your recovery. You have such a positive outlook and great inner strength it was silly of me to worry about you. Pass a Hello to Leah form Shannon!

JoAnne

Leah said...

Love your blog! Looks like you have figured out the pictures perfectly. I love the one of the little girl crying, very sweet. We seem to have little girls crying in our home all of the time. I'm so thrilled to hear about your updates via the phone and the blog. You are amamzing!

K said...

I am trying to figure out how to rest, but am not doing well with it. I'm betting you know this feeling: whatever it is that you're finally getting down to doing, the second you start, you feel anxious because you're not doing something ELSE that you need to get down to doing.

When I read about your rest, I yearned for it. But then, I'd get fat from holding still. Runs in the fam.