Saturday, June 21, 2008

Bad Girl Confession

What most of you don't know is this: I was a BAD GIRL when I first got home. After waving goodbye to my dear brother Richard who picked me up at Provo's little airport, I grabbed the car keys and my girlfriend MaryJoy and my dog Chica and I drove up to the Rock Canyon trailhead, just four blocks from home. I was in 7th Heaven as I hiked towards the mouth of the canyon with butterflies and dragonflies leading the way. Life seemed so perfect. And it was. Even if I wore myself out completely.

Because I am maturing, slowly but surely, I listened to my doctor on the following day when she said, "You can hike, but can't you drive . . . yet" So, I found a new hiking"buddy" every day who would take me to the trailhead until I got back my driving privileges. Still, it continues to require great endurance and I usually come home pooped.

This photo was taken on my 2nd day back from New York.


How grateful I am that the Relief Society (women's organization in the Mormon Church) have brought me SIX dinners since I've come home, because I probably would have chosen to use my minimal energy hiking instead of preparing proper meals. Fortunately, I don't eat a lot and I've judiciously consumed 1 Relief Society dinner for two or three days. Then, the next one arrives! (Well, yesterday I told my dear sisters in the R.S. that I'm ready to fly solo on the food front. Truly, I am.)

I've kept rather quiet about my hiking, because folks wouldn't understand what we scoliosis surgery survivors understand.


That is, we KNOW that there is only a very small daily quota of FUEL in our tanks and when it's gone, it's really gone. Having your skeletal systems rearranged and then pinned in place with metal screws and rods kinda takes it out of you. So, one must PRIORITIZE carefully.


I choose to hike, because it's GOOD for my body and my spirit and my dog. Each day, as I trek farther up the canyon, I feel stronger, healthier. That's just what I need!

2 comments:

K said...

Gorgeous shots of some of the finest earth I've ever known. And your shots of the canyon were great, too. You look WONDERFUL. I didn't even know you had this blog, you girl, you. I feel like dancing, just thinking about how this must be -

Chazi R said...

Ginger, what a marvelous, marvelous thing!
And I must join my mother in the feeling like dancing.
You have a cheersquad here who just think you are AMAZING!
~Char