Friday, May 23, 2008

Duane Here

I've just had the honor of being with Ginger for a few hours this morning. She has been quite coherent at times, but the coherence is primarily due to the fact that the morphine has worn off... so a button press later she is back to fading in and out of consciousness. The pain without morphine is still intolerable, but she's a trooper and has smiled through the bulk of it.

There are so many bright sides to this experience, especially when considering the remarkable physical trauma her body has gone through and how well she is doing just 2.5 days after surgery. You can tell Ginger is a kind and warm-hearted person right down to the core. She will hear a knock on the door (even if it's a neighbor's door and not her own) and politely tell whoever it is to come in, even though she doesn't know who it is and is barely conscious.

At other times, it brings me a smile or two to hear her semi-conscious mutterings. It's like a window into her dream world as she sleeps. I'll hear her say things like, "I've forgotten this fellow's name... (a few seconds later) and he's not here anyway (as she opens her eyes)." It's possible to have short conversations, but they usually last fewer than 30 seconds.

More later...

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Ging I am sorry you are in so much pain. I am hoping that they will be able to manage it better for you. I am so proud of you wanting to get up and get going on the walking. You are so amazing. You know you have always been my hero. I love that one of your nurse's names was Bambi. We'll never forget our own little Bambi from semester abroad. I'm praying for that pain level to come down. Love you.

Karen and Brent Stewart Family said...

Dear Kelty and Duane, Please let Ginger know we are thinking of her (and you as well as your siblings...) I know its hard to watch your loved-ones in pain, but I know how much she loves each member of her family
and that your love and support has
helped her get to this point along
with her can-do attitude paired with her upbeat personality.
Please know we love each of you...Can we
check on anything for you here?
Love, Karen Stewart and family

Ariane Newell said...

Thanks so much to all the caretakers for keeping up this blog. Her friends all appreciate the updates. Bless you Ginger, I hope you don't remember any of this last week. Ariane Newell