Sunday, May 18, 2008

Ginger here. Such odd sensations at this juncture. Sometimes I feel like I'm walking towards a moving train. At other times, I remember that I am choosing a healthier life with a supported spine which will carry me through many more years of living, loving, and laughing. Truly, that's my choice.

For those of you who haven't seen an x-ray of my spine, you simply wouldn't understand why I would volunteer for this invasive procedure when I'm getting around adequately, albeit assisted by Ultraset, my drug of choice. Well, curvature of the spine (scoliosis) is progressive. My curves get curvier on a monthly basis. Some of my discs are slipping off of the discs below them. So, I'm taking the surgical risk to prevent the probabilities of more pain, more complications, less freedom of motion. This surgery is a choice. I am fully choosing it. I still have a great deal of active living to do. Therefore, I will surrender myself to this Major Procedure.

I would appreciate all of your prayers and positive energy on Tuesday. Especially at noon Eastern Standard Time and 10 a.m. Mountain Standard Time. Although the procedure is not due to start until 1 p.m. (EST), your loving support will help me to feel peaceful as I am prepped for surgery. If everything goes perfectly, the surgery will last around five hours. Dr. Boachie has decided to avoid the risks of undoing my existing eight fusions, although my new titanium rods will extend into this area of the spine. This means that he will only enter from the posterior side and not the anterior side. Happily, the surgery will be five hours instead of a full day or two.

I am feeling extraordinarily grateful for all of your support. I've been touched by many unexpected kindnesses as I've prepared for this Big Event. It's very challenging for me to need help. Too many years of being on my own. At this point, I am definitely grateful for every ounce of support. I'm going to be rather dependent for a while. So foreign. I anticipate that it will teach me new things, if I don't resist the lessons. Time for some humility.

My mom was humble and gracious until the very end of her life, even though it was really tough for her to lose her independence. I'm hoping some of her humility and graciousness will "rub off" on me. Maybe genetics can help a bit.

4 comments:

destination relocation said...

another dose of love your way,ging! your grace is such an inspiration.....
as we plant our green beans this afternoon and hang out under the shade of the orange and lemon strees, you will be in our thoughts......sashi & dave

Jill Lewis said...

Our prayers and thoughts are with you in New York! I think about you a lot and wish for the very best with the surgery and recovery. There are many of us cheering you on, and many of us who look forward to opportunities to serve you. You are amazing!!
We love you so much!!

Rachel MacKay said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We love you, our favorite AUNT Ginger! Brendon, Rachel, & Elizabeth MacKay

Scott Woolley said...

Ginger,

You are an inspiration to all of us! Our prayers, thoughts and positive healing energy are focused in your direction. We love you deeply,

Scott & Cathy